Saturday, March 31, 2012

Plexi-Glass

My good friend Catherine Emile has painted several pieces on plexi-glass, and I think they look amazing. Ever since seeing her first plexi-glass creation, I have wanted to give it a try, but just never got around to it. Until tonight that is. As I've mentioned in a previous post, Catherine and I have our work on display at Mona Lisa Ristorante here in Winnipeg. Knowing how great their pizza is, we got together there on Friday evening for an evening of great food and conversation with my wife Lauren and Catherine's friend Doug. Catherine was kind enough to bring along a piece of plexi-glass for me to try painting on.

Painting on plexi-glass is unlike painting on any other surface that I have painted on - in a good way. Here is a picture of my first attempt as it was drying (I had to take it an angle due to the glare). The actual finished piece will look different, but this gives an idea. I had an absolute blast painting it, and will definitely be buying more plexi-glass to try again.

My first piece on plexi-glass, paint side up, as it waits to dry.
The piece is approximately 19" x 12"

Since I had the paint and utensils out, I decided to do a piece on paper as well. I was listening to Lene Lovich while I was painting, so I have named this paper piece "Momentary Breakdown" after a song on the "Stateless" album.
Momentary Breakdown
Acrylic on 18"x24" CP Watercolor paper

You can see two of Catherine's plexi-glass creations in the Fireplace Dining Room at Mona Lisa Ristorante during April 2012 (along with several canvas pieces from both Catherine and myself).

1 comment:

Milliscent Morgan said...

Thanks for allowing me here on this awesome blog of abstract art on glass. Keep it up!