Sunday, October 5, 2014

Winter is approaching

Well, here it is October 5th already, and winter is just around the corner. As the temperature dips, I've found myself wanting to start painting new pieces for my upcoming show at Mona Lisa Ristorante, here in Winnipeg (I'm scheduled to have another joint show with Catherine Emile, for December 2014 and January 2015).

As anyone who knows me knows, I normally listen to music while I paint, allowing myself to get lost in the music, having it guide my hands. I've been listening to the new U2 album, "Songs of Innocence" recently, and these pieces were all at least partially painted with that album providing me with my inspiration.

Above The Noise

The first piece, titled "Above The Noise", is on a 24" x 30" canvas. It started out life with the colours that are still visible in the center, but became surrounded by the blue/white tones as the evening progressed.

Surrender

The second piece, titled "Surrender" is on 22" x 30" canvas. This particular piece is one of those that took shape over several sessions. The original under-painting was painted last year, and then morphed into its current incarnation with U2 guiding me in the background.

Silence Speaks

This third and final piece, titled "Silence Speaks", is on a 24" x 30" canvas. I had started it on Friday evening, listening to U2. I wasn't at all pleased with the outcome, so on Saturday evening, after a wonderful evening with friends, I decided to see what I could do with it.  It was late, so not wanting to disturb, I painted in silence. This piece uses colours that I don't normally paint with.


No comments: