Saturday, June 19, 2010

Painting Evening

I haven't painted for weeks, and was beginning to feel like I was losing my desire to paint. That desire was restored thanks to a painting evening with Catherine Emile and Francine Honoway. Although Lauren didn't join us to paint, she started the evening off with an absolutely delicious meal, and checked in our progress occasionally during the evening.

We started the evening off with some pieces using my traditional scraping technique, since Cathy and Fran had wanted to know how I achieved some of the effects. I did one piece, and Cathy and Fran collaborated on another, using a similar palette. Here are those pieces:

This is my first piece, called Bones.


And here is the collaborative piece that Catherine an Fran did together. As of right now, it doesn't have a title. I love the piece, and the somewhat Moroccan vibe that the colors and shapes impart to it.

After those first two pieces, Fran created another piece using a completely different technique. We all loved it, and wished that we could clone it so that we could do some more experimentation with it. Realizing that we couldn't do that, we decided that we would try to create another piece with a similar palette. Catherine then created a piece, using the same colors that Fran had used. We all loved Catherine's piece as well, so I decided that I'd try one using a similar palette.   I really feel that the three pieces go together quite nicely.


This is Fran's piece. I personally find it hauntingly beautiful.

This is Catherine's painting, using the same color palette (another hauntingly beautiful piece).


And here is my painting with that same palette (although I used much more black than Catherine and Francine did.) During the evening, we didn't come up with names for the pieces, however I have since come up with the name "Bridge" for mine.

I had a wonderful time painting with these two enormously talented artists, and look forward to getting together again for another wonderful evening of painting and conversation.

No comments: