Saturday, November 6, 2010

Life gets in the way

Well, the "13+" show at the Pavilion Gallery Museum in Assiniboine Park here in Winnipeg is officially over. According to the curator, the show had been very well received by the public. He has asked both Ludo and I to create large scale pieces (minimum of 4' x 6') for an exhibition in the Assiniboine Park Conservatory in the spring of 2011.

One of my pieces from the 13+ show (Sunset 101) will be hanging behind the front desk at Terrace 55, the  restaurant on the main floor of the Assiniboine Park Pavilion. This restaurant features outstanding food and service, and an absolutely beautiful setting, overlooking Assiniboine Park. Although it is not inexpensive, the restaurant provides exceptional value and is well worth making a special trip for.

I have not been able to devote as much time to my art as I would have liked, primarily because "Life gets in the way".  Although I'd love to be able to make my living from painting, I have not yet reached the stage where selling my art can provide sufficient income for that to happen.

Until recently, most of my work has been done on 22"x30" paper.  I've recently started to do some work on canvas, but that bas been  primarily  24"x24" pieces. Based on the need to explore larger formats in order to be able to create an appropriate piece for the Conservatory show next spring, I have started experimenting with some larger canvases. My car can only accommodate pieces that are no wider than 36", so I have been experimenting with 36"x36|" and 36"x48" canvas, and am quite liking the larger format. Once I feel confident working with this size, I will make arrangements for delivery of some larger canvases, although I have no idea where I'll be able to actually paint them.

So far, I've done two pieces on 36" x 36 " canvas, as shown below. I'm not thrilled with them, and I'm planning on adding more to them, although I have no idea of when that may happen. I also worked with Catherine Emile and Fran Honoway on a collaborative 36"x48" piece, that I'm quite pleased with. Any comments on any of these pieces would be greatly appreciated.

This first piece is on 36" x 36" canvas, and is titled "City"


The second piece is also on 36" x 36' canvas, and is titled "Trapped"


The final piece is the 36"x48" collaborative piece, painted with Catherine Emile and Fran Honoway. 


Please feel free to offer any and all comments regarding any of these pieces. 

No comments: