Sunday, March 11, 2012

Springing Forward

Well, it's already March, and today is the day that we set the clock ahead by an hour (I always prefer the fall time change, where I can get an extra hour sleep rather than losing an hour). In just 4 weeks time, my work will once again be on display at Mona Lisa Ristorante. This year, I will be displaying my work alongside the work of a really good friend of mine, Catherine Emile. Catherine and I got together last Friday for a day of painting.  She created a piece that I really like called "Grasshopper", but the piece that I was working on turned out to be quite disappointing. We decided to try to rescue my piece by working on it as a collaborative effort, and the result is the piece called "Us". We both used the same colour palette, but different techniques, so there is a cohesiveness in the final product, but also an obvious separation based on styles. We had an absolute blast working on the piece together, and hope to be able to do so again. We had been listening to a variety of music as we were painting, but after we put on some Bob Marley, the creative juices really started flowing - great music to paint by.

I had started a piece before Catherine and I got together last week, and just finished it last evening (while listening to more Bob Marley). I have called this piece "Evolution", as I feel that it represents an evolution of my painting style.

Grasshopper
by Catherine Emile
Acrylic on 40" x 30" canvas

Us
Collaborative piece by Blake McArthur & Catherine Emile
Acrylic on 40" x 30" canvas

Evolution
by Blake McArthur
Acrylic on 30" x 40" canvas



No comments: