Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year 2016

Well, here it is, January 1st, 2016. I can still remember 2015 like it was yesterday :-)

I will be starting out this year with another show at the wonderful Mona Lisa Ristorante here in Winnipeg, starting January 3rd. The tasteful and elegant restaurant located at 1697 Corydon, is one of Winnipeg's finest Italian restaurants. They are also huge supporters of the local art scene, and feature the work of local artists on a rotating basis. The restaurant setting is actually an ideal place to showcase art, since the diners get the opportunity to view the art over the course of their meal, allowing them to "bond" with it. I have been fortunate enough to have had my work displayed there every year since 2010, which is coincidentally the same year that I began my tradition of a New Years painting. 


Each year, I start a piece on December 31st and complete it during the early hours of January 1st of the new year. This years piece was created while listening to "Your's Dreamily", the debut album from The Arcs (featuring Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys, one of my favourite bands). The piece is titled "A Little More Time", and is acrylic on 20"x20" canvas. 

A Little More Time
Acrylic on 20" x 20" canvas


Although I didn't paint very much during 2015, I do have a few new pieces that may be appearing at Mona Lisa.

"Out There" and "The Warm Thrill of Confusion" were painted in December while listening to Animals and The Wall, two of my all time favourite albums. 

Warm Thrill of Confusion
Acrylic on 30" x 40" canvas

Out There
Acrylic on 24" x 30" canvas





"Give It Time" was painted way back in June, during a rare outdoor painting session. The paint dries so quickly when painting outdoors - it's really a completely different experience compared to the indoor painting I normally do.

Give It Time
Acrylic on 36" x 24" canvas

No comments: